Wednesday, March 20, 2013

3-meal Crockpot chicken

Part of living a country life, for me at least, is living frugally. For us, this means that instead of buying boneless, skinless chicken breast at around $2.99 a pound, I've been trying to buy whole chicken at around $1.00 a pound. It really depends on where I buy it. I have to be careful, because I'm on a sodium-restricted diet. I can't buy the kind of chicken that is full of "a solution," because that stuff is about 15% salt-water. Besides, it isn't very frugal to pay for salt water when you're meant to be paying for food!
You have to understand what a gross thing this is for me. Raw chicken makes me literally ill. I'm not quite as bad as my friend who can't even eat meals she cooks out of raw chicken, but the barrage of information we have about pathogens found in raw chicken, and how easily it can contaminate things in our kitchens leaves me feeling very sick. My way of dealing with this was to only purchase boneless, skinless breast of chicken and freeze it immediately. That was, if I did have to touch it, it was only to quickly transfer it to the crock pot or to a pan in a frozen state.
Enter the need to save money. We aren't being frugal just because we have a very limited income, but also because it's the right thing to do. Waste not, want not, after all. Still, I can't justify purchasing something at 3x the price just because it grosses me out. Pity, that.
In order to be able to handle the raw carcasses I place them in the sink and wash them down with cool water. I quickly remove the packet of icky innards and place it in the grocery bag to be thrown away. Ewww. Once the chicken has been rinsed thoroughly, I dry it with paper towels and then transfer it to the crock pot.
Then, I coat the chicken with a drizzle of olive oil and some spices. I like to use Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb blend.

Place the cover on the crock pot and cook the chicken on low for 8 - 10 hours. I usually cook it overnight. You can cook it on high for 4 - 5 hours if you need to.
Remove the chicken from the crock pot very slowly - it will fall apart if you are not careful!
This is the time to clean it up and get the bones out. I used the breast meat for meal #1 - cut it carefully and crisp it up in the oven under the broiler for about 3 minutes. Serve with veggies and a salad for a yummy chicken dinner.
Remove the skin and bones from the rest of the meat. Return the skin and bones to the crock pot, fill it up with water, and cook for several more hours. This is the most delicious chicken stock ever! To save it, carefully use a slotted spoon to remove the solids from the broth. Once you've gotten them mostly out, use a cheesecloth (or paper towel) lined colander to completely strain the broth. Ladle the broth into plastic cups and freeze. Once completely frozen, quickly dip each cup into hot water and dump the frozen broth into a freezer bag. When you're ready to use, just open the bag and add the frozen broth to a saucepan. It only takes about 5 minutes or so for the broth to melt and you have the perfect base for chicken soup, broth to make yummy mashed potatoes or rice, or stock for delicious chicken gravy.
Meals 2 and 3 of my 3-Meal Crockpot Chicken are made from the rest of the deboned chicken. I usually take about half of it and make chicken fajitas. I've made chicken and pasta with the other half. This deboned meat also freezes well. You can use it to make barbeque chicken, chicken pot pie, or any other recipe calling for cooked chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment